Advocating by Email

Send an email to your

members of Congress

The website allows you to send an email message to your members of Congress. The first step is to enter your home address to look up who your members are if you don't already know.

We've drafted a sample message for you, but we

strongly encourage you to personalize your message.

If you have a connection to adoption, emphasize why this issue is especially important to you. Keep it friendly and factual. Express your gratitude for their time and indicate that you’ll be following up soon.

Note: has been experiencing unusually high activity volume. Be sure to keep the tab open until you receive confirmation that the message has completed. Before sending, you may want to copy your message in case it does not go through the first time.

SUBJECT LINE: Please Support the Adoptee Citizenship Act

My name is [FIRST, LAST NAME] and I am a constituent who resides in [CITY, STATE]. Currently, the law governing international adoption places thousands of adopted individuals in the U.S. at risk. Through no fault of their own, these adopted individuals still lack citizenship today, years after their adoption was completed. By closing a dangerous loophole left by the Child Citizenship Act of 2000, the Adoptee Citizenship Act (H.R. 1593/S. 967) provides equity to adoptees who should have every legal right of any other child of a U.S. citizen. It amends the CCA in order to give immediate citizenship to individuals brought to live in the U.S. through intercountry adoption who were excluded under the current law, and ensures automatic citizenship for every full and final adoption by a U.S. citizen.

I believe, as I know you do, that every adopted person is entitled to a safe, secure, permanent placement; citizenship is an essential component of that. As someone who is deeply concerned about this issue, I urge you to support and co-sponsor the Adoptee Citizenship Act now.

To co-sponsor in the House, please contact the office of Representative Smith (D-WA) or Representative Curtis (R-UT). To co-sponsor in the Senate, please contact the office of Senator Blunt (R-NC) or Senator Hirono (D-HI). Thank you for your consideration.